Beygairat Brigade - Aalu Anday
This video though comes with English subtitles need a little explanation for International or expat Pakistani audience. Beygairat Brigade stands for Shameless Brigade, a sort of reference to the Ghairat (Honour) Brigade which often props up for people who believe if things are not done their way, Pakistanis are doing it wrong.
References they make in the video:
- Aalu Anday (Potato Egg Curry), a pretty common curry in Pakistan. Illustrating the Pakistani mentality where they will prefer to eat Chicken even if Lentils are more expensive as somehow Chicken is a more “royal food”.
- He pokes fun at Shairf brothers (of Pakistan Muslim League - N) for just hanging from the sky after being sidelined by Zardari (of Pakistan People’s Party). Also later he tells them that they have no chance from Army since Papa Kiyani (Chief of Army) “not likey you”.
- He claims that Imran Khan (of Pakistan Tehrek-e-Insaf) is just hanging on to Chief Justice as his last hope who is also silent himself since he wants extension in his service after retirement. He goes on to call Imran Khan’s party nothing but a Good looking Jamat-e-Islami (a Religious political party). And that a free judiciary means death of the present people in power (PPP).
- He decries the situation of Pakistan where people like Mumtaz Qadri are treated as royalty (who assassinated Governor Punjab Salman Taseer) or Ajmal Qasab is treated like a hero (the lone survivor of the Mumbai carnage), or the Mullah who ran away in the veil (reference to the leader of the group which declared Islamic Government from Lal Mosque right in middle of Islamabad) but no one remembers Dr Abdus Salaam (the lone Nobel Laureate from Pakistan) because he was a Qadiyani (a sect declared non-Muslims by rest of the Muslims).
- Video being sponsored by Zionists just highlights how Pakistanis are neck deep in conspiracy theories. Same with the hue and cry about Blackwater (or now Xe) where though terrorist attacks were happening from inside the country we were quick to exonerate ourselves by blaming them.
- Your money + my pocket = we are still enemies hahaha, reference to Pakistani American relationship.
- Mullah + Military = Zia ul yuckee, reference to General Zia ul Haq a dictator who literally single handedly derailed any chance of Pakistani progressive thought.
- Every year Pakistan now faces several food crisis, one of the most notorious is the shortage of sugar which results it people stocking it and selling it later at exuberant prices.
No matter how troubled things are in Pakistan these boys are just few of the people willing to take fight right to the source and the dangers they face could not be exhibited any less clearly than with the last sign the lead singer was carrying.
If you are still interested, check this small news item on BBC or this at Tribune.